Thursday, January 21, 2010

Things I will miss about Alaska: Sunrise over the mountains & killer crows

So I would like to assert that no state does mountains like Alaska. Sorry, just have to throw it out there. I'm terrible at distances (which frustrates my husband to no end) but these mountains are a highway drive of about 4 hours away from me and they look like they're right next door! There's McKinley there and the rest of the range and it's so beautiful to see when I drive home from work (assuming there's enough sunlight and it's not cloudy/ foggy). I love the sun rising over them, which happens about 10:30/ 11 now-a-days.
I will really miss the beauty of these mountains out my window.

I will also miss the HUGE crows that inhabit Alaska. I was worried they were going to carry me away when I first moved here. They're big enough that it's only half joking. My poor 7 lb. cat is convinced if given the opportunity she could kill them, I'm not very confident she could though.





You can see the sunrise over the mountains in the top 2 images, the sunrise takes so long that it's a beautiful thing to watch the light play over the mountains at its different stages. Then a not very large crow on the street light, it was the closest one I could find to take a picture of. Then there's a view of my street with the light from the sunrise hitting it.

I love Alaska.